Makes About 28
- 2 cups (380g) dried figs, stemmed and halved
- 1/2 cup (125ml) tawny port
- 2 cups (386g) Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup (100g) unsweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 2 Tbsp (15g) cocoa nibs, optional
- 1 pinch coarse salt
- 28 (about 1/4 cup) (40g) almonds, lightly toasted
- Store in an airtight container at cool room temperature for a month, or in the refrigerator basically forever.
We all have mountains to climb. Whether yours are snow packed or of the laundry persuasion, these treats will give you the strength you need to persevere.
By Jason Schreiber
In a small saucepan, cook the figs and port over medium heat, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon, until the seeds release from the figs and the port thickens, about 5 minutes.
Transfer the cooked figs and what’s left of the port to a food processor along with the dates, 1/4 cup (25g) of coconut, the cocoa nibs, if using, and salt. Process until the mixture forms a stiff, sticky, satisfying paste, about 1 minute.
Shape heaping tablespoons of the mixture into rough balls and press an almond into the center of each. Roll the balls between the heels of your hands to round them out, then toss in the remaining 3/4 cup (75g) coconut to coat.
Recipe excerpt from FRUIT CAKE by Jason Schreiber. © 2020 by Jason Schreiber. Used with permission by William Morrow, and imprint of HarperCollins Publishers. All rights reserved.